Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Gate House by Nelson DeMille


John Sutter's life changed dramatically ten years ago. That's when his wife, Susan, shot and killed the local Mafia don at the end of their affair. Now, John is back in town and Susan wants to reunite and remarry. There are two problems with this plan. One is the disapproval of her parents, who are millionaires and who support Susan and happen to hate John. The other is the son of the murdered Mafia don, who is interested in seeing Susan back in town and wants revenge.
Over the years, I think I've read most of DeMille's books, and always found them to be exciting page-turners. I'm sorry to say I didn't have the same reaction to this one. It missed the mark for me. The majority of the book was spent going over and over the relationship with Susan's parents. The resolution of that issue seemed rushed and unlikely to me.
I'm sure I'll be lined up to read DeMille's next, but won't really recommend this one to many readers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the review. I've been eying DeMille just haven't picked anything up yet. Good to know what not to start with :-)

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I generally love DeMille's books, but this one was terrible.